Centers of Excellence (CoE) for Domestic Maritime Workforce Training and Education
The Secretary of Transportation, acting through the Maritime Administrator, may designate certain eligible and qualified training entities as Centers of Excellence for Domestic Maritime Workforce Training and Education (CoE). Centers of Excellence designations serve to assist the maritime industry in obtaining and maintaining the highest quality workforce.
The Maritime Administration (MARAD) developed the CoE Program to support maritime workforce training and education at designated CoEs, including efforts of the designees to admit additional students; recruit and train faculty; expand facilities; create new maritime pathways; and award students credit for prior experience, including military service.
MARAD developed a policy to provide interested parties with comprehensive agency guidance on how best to apply for CoE designation. During application acceptance periods, MARAD will review and consider all applications it receives and may contact applicants with questions to assist in reviewing their applications. The CoE Program is a voluntary program and, therefore, any eligible and qualified training entity is free to decide whether it wishes to participate in the program and apply for a CoE designation.
You can also discover more detailed information on each of the current CoE designees through our CoE Interactive Map.
(9/19/23) The Opportunity to Apply for Center of Excellence Designation for 2023 is now closed. Submissions are currently being reviewed.
Federal Register Notices related to the Centers of Excellence Program:
- CoE- Designation Policy Update and Notice of Opportunity to Apply for Designation for 2023 - 88 FR 46829 (July 20, 2023)
- CoE- Notice of Opportunity to Apply for Maritime Training and Education Designation - 87 FR 43103 (July 19, 2022)
- CoE - Request for Comments on the Renewal of a Previously Approved Information Collection-Center of Excellence for Domestic Maritime Workforce Training and Education (CoE) Annual Application for Designation - 86 FR 18115 (April 7, 2021)
- CoE - Notice of Opportunity to Apply for Training and Education Designation - 85 FR 67599 (October 23, 2020)
- CoE - Final policy and information collection requests for comments - 85 FR 13231 (March 6, 2020)
- CoE - Notice and request for comments - 84 FR 34994 (July 19, 2019)
- CoE - Notice and request for comments - 83 FR 25109 (May 31, 2018)
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Gerard Wall, Centers of Excellence Program Manager, Maritime Administration, at Gerard.Wall@dot.gov or 202-366-7273.