2019-008-Persian Gulf, Strait of Hormuz, Gulf of Oman, Arabian Sea, Red Sea-Threats to U.S. and International Shipping from Iran
This revised advisory cancels U.S. Maritime Advisory 2019-006
1. Reference: U.S. Maritime Advisory 2019-004
2. Issue: The heightened military activities and increased political tensions in this region continue to present risk to commercial shipping due not only to this threat, but also due to the potential for miscalculation or misidentification. Additionally, vessels operating in the Persian Gulf and Gulf of Oman may encounter GPS interference and other communications jamming, which could occur with little to no warning.
3. Description: Following the May 12, 2019 attacks against four commercial vessels in the vicinity of the anchorage off Fujairah, UAE (see U.S. Maritime Alert 2019-002A) and the June 13, 2019 attacks against two additional commercial vessels transiting in the Gulf of Oman (see U.S. Maritime Alert 2019-003A), there is a continued possibility that Iran and/or its regional proxies could take actions against U.S. and partner interests in the region.
4. Guidance: U.S. commercial vessels operating in this area are advised to review U.S. Maritime Advisory 2019-004 and contact the U.S. Navy 5th Fleet NCAGS watch, per the below contact information, for additional guidance.
5. Contact Information: U.S. flag vessels are advised to report any incidents immediately to coalition naval vessels on VHF Channel 16, the 5th Fleet Battle Watch via phone at 973-1785-3879, and email details to: CUSNC.BWC@ME.NAVY.MIL. U.S. flag commercial vessels bound for the Strait of Hormuz in either direction are encouraged to contact the U.S. Navy 5th Fleet Naval Cooperation and Guidance for Shipping (NCAGS) Watch at least two days prior to transit at: CUSNC.NCAGS_BW@ME.NAVY.MIL or 973-3904-9583.
6. Per 33 CFR 101.305, all suspicious activities and events must be reported to the U.S. Coast Guard National Response Center at 1-800-424-8802. In this region, such activities and events should additionally be reported to the U.S. Navy 5th Fleet NCAGS Watch at the email address or phone number listed above.
7. For maritime industry questions about this advisory, contact GMCC@uscg.mil. Supplemental information may also be found on the MARAD Office of Maritime Security website at: https://go.usa.gov/xUKsb.
8. Cancellation of Prior Advisories: This advisory supersedes and cancels U.S. Maritime Advisory 2019-006. This message will automatically expire on December 25, 2019.
For more information about U.S. Maritime Alerts and Advisories, including subscription details, please visit https://www.marad.dot.gov/MSCI.